Sure, it may seem intimidating and the mere thought of no longer being able to indulge in a few scoops of vanilla fudge ripple ice cream threatens to send you into a panic attack. However, despite all that has to be sacrificed, even more will be gained when becoming a vegan. More than that, becoming vegan is a lot easier than you think. In fact, you can do it successfully and seamlessly in just 10 easy steps.
1. Be open-minded – If nothing else, becoming vegan is quite a mind job. It goes against all that you’ve previously believed about health and nutrition. That’s why before anything else, you have to make this change mentally. Change the mind and the body will follow.
2. Talk to a vegan – Whether you discuss it with one that you know or a vegan from an online blog, hearing about the ins and outs of being a vegan straight from the horses mouth, so to speak, is priceless.
3. Do some research – The more you learn, the more you know and the more you grow. Being able to validate your reasons for becoming a vegan will do more for your confidence than all of the other steps put together and as with all things, confidence is key.
4. Get some recipes – Go to the bookstore or online and buy some vegan cookbooks or just start collecting meatless recipes that are easy to prepare and that appeal to you like vegan fudge recipes. This will keep things interesting.
5. Do a meatout – Yes, any day of the week will do. Just pick a day and over the next 3 weeks on that day consume only meatless meals such as salad, soups, and rice dishes.
6. Eat meat less often – Do this gradually by eating one meatless dish per day.
7. Give up one type of meat – Keep doing this until you have eliminated them all from your diet. Some go cold turkey, but the majority of us just don’t have the willpower to do that. Thus, giving up one meat at a time affords us the time to mentally, as well as physically adjust to this new lifestyle.
8. Stop keeping meat in your home – No need to temp yourself. Just as working in a bar is difficult for a newly sober alcoholic so is having meat in your home. Make it easy on yourself by keeping the temptation out of sight and out of mind.
9. Trade out dairy products for dairy-free alternatives – Instead of buying butter or margarine get a non-hydrogenated, vegan buttery spread as an alternative. Then instead of sliced or shredded dairy cheese choose one of the vegan options. Both will be equally as flavorful and have textures that are consistent with their dairy-based counterparts.
10. Notice the difference – The change in the way you feel will be undeniable. You’ll notice that you have more energy, feel better about yourself and most of all you’ll see, as will others, that you look sexier!
Amirah Bellamy is a Vegan Coach, Vegan Fitness Meal Planning Expert, and Author. To learn more about her fabulous Vegetarian Meal Plans, purchase her infamous eBook “The 50¢ Book That’s Hotter Than 50 Cent,” or INSTANTLY grab her FREE Vegetarian Starter Kit go to http://www.AmirahBFit.com